Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Cheesy Mock Shepherd's Pie

If you remember I posted a recipe last week for Sloppy Joe's and I told you to save half of the meat from that recipe. Well this recipe uses that meat you saved. I have to say that I enjoy meals where I can use meat for 2 recipes. Makes my life easy. Also this meal can be made ahead of time and put in the fridge or freezer. Just adjust cooking times some

Cheesy Mock Shepherds Pie
1 1/2 pounds potatoes peeled and quartered
3 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup milk
salt and pepper
reserved meat mixture from sloppy joes
1 1/2 cup chopped zucchini (1 medium)
1 16 oz bag frozen mixed veggies
1 can cheddar cheese soup, condensed
2 to 4 tbsp water.

1. In a large saucepan cook potatoes in enough water to cover for 20 -25 minutes or until tender. Use a potato masher, and mash potatoes. Stir in butter and milk. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If you don have time to make real mash potates use boxed kind following directions. Omit first 3 ingredients.

2. Meanwhile preheat oven to 350. In another large saucepan, combine the meat, zucchini, veggies, soup and water. Cover and cook until heated through.

3. Pour Mixture into a 3 qt casserole. Top with spoonfuls of potato mixture and smooth over top of the casserole. Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes. I added a handful of cheese and baked additional 5 minutes.

No comments: