Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Chicken Stew with Gnocchi

When I was at Target the other day doing some shopping I came across a package of gnocchi. I wanted to make something that my kids would eat but that i could freeze for later use. After searching several recipes I came across this recipe at Taste of Home. I did modify the recipe a tiny bit as for the flavoring of the broth plus I did not thicken the recipe. I will add my modifications in bold at the end. The last 3 ingredients I eyed balled.

I enjoyed this recipe alot.I also have enough left over to put into freezer bags and save for later use. I hope you enjoy.

Chicken Stew with Gnocchi

Ingredients
3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (did not use)
2 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (did not use)
4 green onions, chopped
3 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed (used shredded chicken from the freezeer when I made chicken broth)
1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves (did not use)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
3 tablespoons cornstarch (did not use)
1/4 cup cold water (did not use)
1 package (16 ounces) potato gnocchi
Hot pepper sauce, optional
Parsley
Basil
Garlic Powder


Directions
Place the parsnips, carrots, celery, sweet potato and onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with chicken; sprinkle with the sage, salt and pepper. Add broth and water. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°.
Remove chicken; when cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to the slow cooker.
Mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into stew. Add gnocchi. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Season with hot pepper sauce if desired. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).


No comments: