Sunday, January 16, 2011

Refried Bean Chili

I love chili but I have to be careful how I make it because my picky hubby only eats certain things. However I am always on the lookout fir a new chili recipe. This recipe caught my eye because it uses refried beans. I never saw a recipe using these type of beans but oh my goodness I have to say I love this recipe. I also have a litte bit leftover for my lunch tomorrow. This recipe can be found on page 121 of the Better Homes and Garde Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes.

Refried Bean Chili- all my changes will be in quotes
2 pounds ground beef - "1/2 pound hamburger, 1/2 pound ground turkey"
1 cup chopped onion- "did not use"
2 15oz chili beans with chili gravy- " 1 can black beans drained"
1 16 oz jar salsa- " i used 1/4 cup salsa and added diced tomatoes"
1 16 oz can refried beans
1 12 oz can beer or 1 can beef broth
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 tbsp lime juice "did not use"

In a large skillet cook beef and onion until meet is brown . Drain off fat.

In a 5-6 qt crockpot place the beef mixture, beans, salsa, refried beans, beer/broth, chili powder and cumin. Cover cook on low 6-8 hour or on high for 3- 4 hours

To serve ladle chili into bowls

Nutrition
Serve 8-10 1 cup servings- Orignal recipe no my modified

Caloires- 482
fat -22
cholesterol-86
sodium-960
carbs-36
fiber- 10
protein-30

No comments: